Followers

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Wait, was this a normal week? Student Teaching Week 10

Monday-normal
Tuesday-normal
Wednesday-normal, activity period
Thursday-Area Speaking Contest
Friday-normal

It was a full week of classes for the students at last! For me, not quite! All 5 days were normal school days but on Thursday, I attended Area Speaking with our Parliamentary Procedure team and a couple of speakers.


Image result for practice makes perfect meme


Teaching Responsibilities


  • This was my last week teaching Ag 4 (it was a forestry unit). I gave them a small test on Friday and they made me cry while grading them. At the end of the test, I asked them "Is there anything that you know about forestry that I did not ask. Do you have any other questions?" Almost all of the students (only 6 total), said something to the effect of "you were a great teacher," or "thank you for teaching us." They all gave some sort of encouraging note to answer that question. I had only been with them for about 10 days so all of that was super meaningful to me.
  • Ag 1 and 2 went pretty smoothly this week. We had to find other parts of the plumbing square project to work on while waiting for some parts to come in but they had plenty of other things to do that everything worked out well.

Area Speaking

  • I'm helping to coach our Parli Pro team. They got 2nd at the Area Contest. They were practicing well but when it came to contest time, they happened to go over time. It is something that we will have to perfect in the coming weeks before regionals. They also made a few simple mistakes.
  • Our senior prepared speaker got 2nd! Our Creed speaker did not advance to regionals but held her own. With all of these contests, its practice makes perfect! The one thing that our speakers can improve on is the questions; we have not been adamant about asking them questions after their speeches.

Advice Wanted

  • How do I keep things from getting mundane? I'm not exactly in a rut but I feel as if I am just going through the motions everyday.

Image result for help wanted signs agriculture

1 comment:

  1. Sara,

    Be sure to try new things in the classroom. This will help you not feel like you are in a rut, and it keeps things fresh for your students. Sometimes a little novelty is what it takes to get students (and teachers) excited about their learning.

    ReplyDelete